PST Post-op Instructions
Post-Operative Care: Instructions for Home Care
- NO BRUSHING OVER SURGICAL SITE(S). Only use ultra-soft toothbrush prescribed but stay away from gums and only brush the teeth.
- NO FLOSSING (Water-Pik ONLY from tongue-side or inside)
- NO TOUCHING: with finger or any other device or object (e.g., cotton swabs).
- NO LOOKING: Pulling the lip will interfere with the surgical site.
- RINSE ONLY WITH LIPS APART (e.g., NO chipmunk cheeks)
- WEAR PRESCRIBED BITE APPLIANCE 24 HOURS A DAY, if instructed. (Do not clench or grind your teeth). Check with Doctor about any other appliances (e.g., retainers, Invisalign, Perio-Protect, etc).
- ICE OVER SURGICAL AREA at 10 minute intervals for the first 48 hours to minimize swelling.
- DO NOT BE ALARMED ABOUT SOFT SWELLING OR BRUISING FOR THE FIRST WEEK.
- DO NOT EAT crunchy or sticky foods and do not drink from a straw.
- EXPECT cold sensitivity for 6 weeks or longer. DO REPORT sensitivity during check-up appointments.
- PAIN CONTROL- take two 200 mg. acetaminophen (Tylenol) tablets + two 200 mg. ibuprofen (Advil) tablets at the same time, subject to other instructions by Dr. Brad.
- CALL DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY IF YOU HAVE UNEXPECTED PAIN, CONTINUOUS BLEEDING, OR HEAT FROM SURGICAL SITE.